I am FINALLY reading Eat Right for Your Blood Type, a book that has been sitting on my mom’s book shelf for ages. For some reason I have always really wanted to read it, but every time I thought about diving in I realized I did not even know my blood type! So I gave my doc a call to ask…this has to be something that is required in your charts; right? It seems like a very important fact that everyone should know.
But if you have not had a child or a major surgery recently this is not something that will be in your charts. This seems so strange to me! Blood…our bodies transportation system and docs don’t even keep track of what their patients are? Hmm… another point why it is more important that we take our health in our hands!
So after adding up the cost and time of making and going to the doc to get another appointment to spend more time and money to get the blood test I figured there had to be a way to do this at home. Thank you google and Dr. D’Adamo’s website for saving me some time. Have a test delivered to your door for $10 (Click Here for the Site)!
The kit comes with everything you need and is relatively simple. If you are needle phobic (like myself) I highly suggest you have someone to help…Anthony had to do most of mine ;).
Follow the instructions and fill out the included card. Give it a few minutes and use the comparison chart to find your type :)!
I am O+, same as Anthony! I can’t wait to finish the book and add some of the lessons learned to our current diet!
Summer is not yet over ;)…well the summer weather that is! And this shake is the perfect taste to imagine enjoying some island time. The Mango Blueberry Protein Shake is great for breakfast, lunch, an afternoon pick-me up or even dessert! It is packed with health to keep you full and keep you alert 🙂
- 4 ice cubes
- 1/3 c frozen/fresh blueberries
- 1 c frozen/fresh mango chunks
- 1 big handful spinach (the bigger the better)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp unsweetened raw almond butter
- 1 scoop vanilla PlantFusion protein powder
- 1 c coconut water
- 1 tbps unsweetened baked coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp dried goji berries
Directions (why I love protein shakes)-
- Place ice, blueberries, mango, spinach, almond butter, protein powder and coconut water into the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, top with coconut and goji berries. Enjoy!
Throughout elementary and junior high school I dreamed of being a cheerleader. Why? Because I was a huge sports fan? Unfortunately no…at that age I barely knew what a touchdown was. I wanted to be a cheerleader because I saw it as a sport … a fun lively challenge. A chance at competitions, shows, and a way to learn new and fun tricks. It wasn’t until this year that I realized the true importance of a cheerleader…
I have always heard people say things to each other like, “I’m your biggest cheerleader, your biggest fan.” I visualized this as a support mechanism. But I didn’t really get it until this year. A few years ago I left my secure job as a civil engineer to follow my dreams and passions in health and fitness …that specific dream has consistently evolved. Over the past few years I struggled with my direction and making ends meet as a personal trainer. It seemed like as I found that new solution, that new goal, the new health career path … and then there would be a dead end. I have learned from each path but I just wanted so bad to throw all my energy into one defined focus. This year I made two huge risks … to join a team in launching a product line, KnotOut™ (www.lavitaforte.com) and to train independently, traveling to clients homes. Honestly, there have been several times this year that I have wanted to run to the security of Corporate America … but every time I spoke of this there would always be a friend or colleague to turn me back on my journey to pursue my PASSION. And I have followed their guide … when you have so many supporters … with so many believing in you it makes risks like this POSSIBLE. I do not know where this journey will take me but I do know that high I get from helping people to FEEL better inside and out. This feeling is something that I have only felt as a personal trainer/nutrition coach. And I am so grateful to all those that constantly stand in my corner to root me on, to believe me even when I have not. I do not know where I will be in 5 years … but I know that I will be helping people achieve their health goals and free them from pain and that I will always have those supporters to push me forward when things get tough.
Which brings me back to the purpose of cheerleaders … I highly doubt you could convince me to put on a football uniform and run straight at another guy … I mean these guys take a pounding … after one hit I would be begging to be out … especially if your team is losing … could it be the support of cheerleaders (and fans aka seated cheerleaders) that help keep these guys going? Remind them with their positive energy that they can “FIGHT ON”?
Who are your cheerleaders? Who are you a cheerleader for?
When I worked on the west side (Santa Monica) I used to LOVE getting shakes from this spot called Planet Raw. The shakes themselves were delicious and of course nutritious but also had the added crunch element … I am a texture eater so when it comes to liquid shakes for a meal sometimes my mouth feels deprived while my tummy feels full … so why not add some crunch and some more nutrition :). This is my absolute fav topping combo that can be used on really any flavor of shake!!
My 4 Ingredient SuperPower Mix-
- Dried Goji Berries- also known as woflberry is a great source of calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, selenium, B-2, and vitamin C
- Cocoa Nibs- looking for an energy boost or a mood elevator??? Chocolate in it’s strongest form is the answer :). Cocoa nibs are a great source of iron, magnesium, calcium, copper, zinc, and potassium
- Dried Mulberries- these sweet treats are a great source of iron, protein, vitamin C, and fiber
- Coconut Flakes/Chips- are a great source of fiber, protein and lauric acid (great for the immune system)
Why these four?? Well first the flavor combo is great…a little of sweet, a little of bitter, and a bunch of crunch :)…. also these ingredients are know for their antioxidant powers! We are consistently exposed to a variety of pollutants and free radicals and our nutrition must help us combat these cell destroyers!
How? It’s simple… grab a glass jar and combine all 4 ingredients in a fairly even ratio. It will keep at room temperature or to maximize freshness keep in the fridge
Enjoy!… Place a few spoonfuls on top of your favorite shake… I made my Chocolate Amazeballs Shake (https://nostovenoovennoproblem.wordpress.com/?s=Chocolate+Amazeballs+Shake&submit=Search) added the toppings… so good I had to check and make sure I wasn’t cheating!
Happy Thursday!! Today was a very busy morning for me after 3 clients and driving all over the San Fernando and Valencia Valleys the last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym and honestly I only had 20 mins to workout today! So I located the nearest staircase… off Pico Canyon in Valencia … and put my booty to work! Not only were my legs shaking after this workout but I was covered in sweat and my cardiovascular system was pumpin!
Here’s what I did:
- One warm up lap
- One lap with hands on head and shoulders pulled down and back (why? … this helps keep your posture where it should be and keep the work in your hips and glutes)
- One lap with right leg leading and hands on head…remember to keep your feet, knees, and hips square and in line
- One lap left leg leading
- Repeat 2-4
- Finish with one cool down lap …. repeat step 1
So that is 9 laps in total!! If you want to get real intense you can add some sprint sections! Do this a couple times a week and it will change your life and your butt! 😉
I finished my detox last Friday. That weekend we headed to Temecula for one of my best friends wedding. Did I go hog wild as soon as the detox chains were unhooked? Did I salivate at the sight of their wedding cake and break my gluten free and dairy free rules? NOPE… That is what is so great about this detox you never feel deprived. Sure we went wine tasting and I did enjoy some delicious wine … sure I had a salad with quinoa and chickpeas in it … and of course I had some dark chocolate covered almonds. But I found my self eating less and enjoying more. More importantly feeling better I found myself feeling better, feeling even more centered, calm and collected. And even stronger!
Check out some of our dance moves at the wedding!
Results of the Detox-
- I did loose about 3 pounds
- My eyes and skin regained their shine … my body finally felt hydrated again in this summer heat
- I enjoy my food again … I pay attention to my eating … and have found myself eating less … and eating more regimented
- I sleep much more soundly
- I have lost the need for that afternoon caffeine
- I am not craving sugar after lunch and dinner
- I don’t feel bloated at the end of the day
- My mind is clear and focused
I have officially RESET MY BATTERIES! 🙂 How a detox should really make you feel
The third and final day of the detox. This morning I woke up energized and well rested. I didn’t even feel that I needed my coffee this morning. I have also noticed that I can actually taste my food better. My veggies, fruit, and protein drinks that I have eaten normally even not on this detox seem to have even more flavor! An indication that my body is detoxing all the extra sugars I had been eating. I have also begun to enjoy my meals again rather than scarf them down in front of the TV or computer.
I love the way this detox starts each day…one glass of water and one mug of warm water with lemon juice. We forget sometimes how much our body really does at night and how dehydrated we become. Some of us wake up hungry or craving coffee to get us going in the morning…but what your body is really craving is hydration! Start everyday with 1 glass of water and 1 mug of water with juice of 1/2 lemon. Trust me you will feel the difference. And lemon water helps the body detox naturally (great after all the work through the night).
Half a day left! Not going to lie I am excited to start eating my fabulous cooking again! 🙂 But this detox more of a reset has made me more aware of my body and what is going into it.
Day 2 of my 3 day detox and feelin’ great! I slept amazing last night and I can already feel my body starting to repair itself. I have done a pretty good job keeping myself away from negativity and gossip and diving myself into my business and my clients!
So protein powder is a big deal with this detox…what’s the best? I love PlantFusion…and I highly recommend buying it from Amazon.com or Vitacost.com…purchase it at Whole Foods and you will end up spending twice the amount! On this detox it is best to have at least two flavors of protein powder. This will help you from getting bored and wanting to cheat…
Now what do you do with this stuff?
Try to do 2 simple shakes per day…meaning just almond (or any nut milk), water, and protein powder. And one “beefy” shake! “Beefy” shake?? Try these:
- Chocolate Banana- 1/2 frozen banana, 4 ice cubes, 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder, 1 tbsp all natural no sugar added almond butter, 2 c raw spinach, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 2 tsp flax seeds, 1 c almond milk
- Blue Banana- 1/2 frozen banana, 4 ice cubes, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 1 c spinach, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tsp chia seeds, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 c coconut water
- Mango Banana- 1/2 frozen banana, 4 ice cubes, 1 c frozen mango, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tsp flax seeeds, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 c coconut water
- Creamy Strawberry Banana- 1/2 frozen banana, 4 ice cubes, 1 c frozen strawberries, 1 c spinach, 1 tbsp almond butter, 2 tsp chia seeds, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 c almond (or any nut milk)
Veggie Fruit Blend…I love this one because it is super charged with vitamins…this is a great replacement for your blended shake or an addition if you feel weak on this detox
- Veggie Fruit Vitamin Blend- 2 c spinach, 2 c kale, 1″ chopped fresh ginger, 1/2 banana, 1 green apple, 1 c fresh OJ
So what else is there besides shakes?
- Any raw veggies- carrots, celery, cucumber, bell pepper…all these are delish on their own
- Raw fruit- keep this to 1-2 pieces per day (not including what you put in your “beefy” shake or veggie blend)
- Raw veggie salads…any chopped raw veggie salad topped with lemon juice, garlic, and 2 tsp olive oil….I love this Cucumber Tomato Salad (I actually ordered this at a restaurant…yes amazing you can actually eat out on this!
- Steamed veggies…these are much easier for your tummy to break down…great to have at the end of the night…steam any veggies and top with 2 tsp olive oil, garlic and black pepper…I have been doing a green bean and broccoli combo 🙂
Detox Drink….this is a detox and yes we do want to cleanse a bit. I prefer natural detox teas…here are two that I use and recommend. Use either ONE of these per day….
- Cold Dandelion Root Tea- 30 oz water + tea bag in fridge for at least 6 hours…then add 1/2 lemon (juice) and 4 tbsp all natural cranberry juice
- Hot Natural Detox Tea- have this tea between 7-8pm at night
** Remember you only need one!
Stay tuned for my last day check in tomorrow!
It seems like everyone is on a detox. Some of them a bit too drastic and some a bit too unrealistic. A few times a year I do a 3-5 day detox…over the years I have slowly created my own….which does tweak a bit as a learn more and more studies come out about nutrition.
Many people do a detox to drop weight and unfortunately become overly obsessed with the number on the scale. I do a detox because:
- I am snacking too much (unnecessary eating while driving/working/watching TV)
- I have started some unhealthy habit (too much sugar/a glass of wine every night/too much caffeine/too many carbs)
- To reset my mind…this is a very important part many miss…I try to keep away from gossip/drama TV/too much social media
- To get extra sleep…I try to take a nap and skip the second cup of tea…go to bed early instead of snacking to stay awake
- To give my digestive system a break…I try to keep many of my meals in liquid form and stop the late night snacking…this way my digestive system can really take a break at night and my body can do it’s repair job
What do I stay away from on this detox?
- Anything processed
- Added Sugars
- Grains (including corn and potatoes)
- Animal proteins
What does my detox include?
- 1 c coffee per day…unless you don’t normally have caffeine
- 2-3 protein shakes a day (plain nut milk with a vegan GF protein powder)
- raw fruits (1-2/day if light headed)
- raw/steamed veggies w/ olive oil or coconut oil, lemon, dried herbs
- detox teas
- 1 fruit/veggie blend
- tons of water
Important things to include in a detox?
- protein….what the juice cleanses completely miss!
- balanced vegetables…think variety of colors…so many people get sick after heafty detoxes because they are lacking so many vitamins and minerals
- a touch of fat…your body needs fat to carry out many daily functions!
- some fruit…you don’t want to do a fruit based diet (ie fruit juice cleanse)!!! Your blood sugar levels will hate you forever! But if you are active and running around your body does need a bit of sugar to keep you going…unless you can go on a detox and stop the rest of your life!?
- 1 c of caffeine if you are and avid caffeine drinker…take caffeine completely out and you will have a raging headache…if you don’t normally do caffeine don’t include this
Most importantly you should still be able to function on a DETOX… you should still be able to work, focus, and have energy. A detox should make you feel better…not like you are about to pass out! Also keep the detox easy…yes there are a ton of great soups and fresh juices you can make for the detox but really who has time for all the prep? If you do def do it!! Let’s keep things easy!
Stay tuned tomorrow for some detox recipes!