Next week is Thanksgiving!! Now is the time to gear up for the big eating week. Yes making healthy decisions during the holidays is essential but you will consume more calories as we enter this big holiday season then you do on a non-holiday basis. So get ahead of weight gain by boosting your metabolism with some strength workouts! Eh..hem… this quick time crunching plank series is my gift to you this holiday season.
If you have been a dedicated plank challenger you should currently be spending 3.5 minutes of your day in Plank Land. If you have fallen off the Plank Bus then hurry up and get your @$$ back on!
Today we add the next level, the next variation, and another 30 seconds! Yes so now 4 minutes of your day will be consumed by planking….but people this is still less than a commercial break!
Today we add a combination of our last two variations… Plank with Opposite Arm/Leg Raise! Hold each raise for 1 count before switching to the other side.
Postural Corrections to Focus on:
- Keep lower abdominals engaged; Do Not let that low back arch
- Keep those shoulders down and back using your lats; avoid rounding in your chest
- The leg raise should be drive by gluten activation and the arm raise should be driven by the lats and shoulder muscles
- Keep your hips down as your shift your weight
- Take your time your first few tries with this one to make sure you are using the correct muscle groups
Plank Challenge Thus Far (4 minutes):
- Standard Plank 30s
- Side Plank 30s
- Side Plank 30s
- Reverse Plank 30s
- Plank with knee drops 30s
- Plank with alternating arm raises 30s
- Plank with alternating leg raises 30s
- Plank with opposite arm and leg raises 30s
Hang in there…remember our goal for fall is to keep the summer flat tummy, sculpted arms and toned glutes!