So I have to be honest, I have never really been a fan of meatloaf. My mother and grandmother would make it occasionally and I would complain. I found it strange that many people were obsessed with meatloaf and even put it into a sandwich!
Since I was never really a fan of meatloaf after I moved out of the house I never made it. It wasn’t until I saw Anthony’s fixation on meatloaf (I think it’s a man’s thing) that I decided I would finally try to make it (girlfriend points).
Instead of the traditional drab gluten filled meatloaf I created my own twist! And it turned out absolutely incredible! I now officially love meatloaf!
- 1/2 lb grass fed organic ground beef
- 1/2 c cooked quinoa
- 1/4 c diced sweet onion
- 1/2 c diced mushrooms
- 1/4 c diced green onion
- 1/2 c diced cherry tomato
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil + oil to coat pan
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl using a wooden spoon or your hands (works the best if you can handle it).
- Coat a 6.5″ x 4.5″ x 2.5″ baking dish with olive oil. You can use a variety of sizes. If it is a smaller yet deeper pan or a large pan yet less deep baking times will vary*.
- Place mixed ingredients in coated baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let rest 3-5 minutes.
- Cut – serve – top with a touch of organic ketchup (HFC of course) and enjoy!
*You can cut the center of the loaf to take a peak. You want to be sure all the ground beef has turned from red to brown.