Cinco De Mayo is a week from today! How will you be celebrating? Hopefully with some tasty Mexican food :). Any time I went to a Mexican restaurant I always ordered a tostada… the crispy shell bowl… the blend of rice and beans… delicious salsa and guac layered throughout… my mouth is watering already.
Unfortunately many of these restaurant style tostada salads are full of empty calories and unhealthy fats. True, a salad can actually be not so good for you! Fortunately the salad can be “health-ified” with some tasty changes! The Mexican Salad is the perfect party pleaser, main or side dish, most people will have no idea it is good for you!
This salad is how I get my tostada fix without the stomach ache!
The Mexican Salad is gluten free, dairy free, and vegan. This tasty meal is a perfect complex combination of carbs, fiber, protein and healthy fats to keep you fuller longer. If you are a carnivore you can also add grilled chicken, fish, or lean steak to top this salad.
Serves– 4-6 people
- 1 bag Trader Joe’s Spinach Lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2-3 green onion stalks, chopped
- 3-4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 bag Trader Joe’s Frozen Rice
- 1 jar/container of salsa
- 1 lemon, juice
- ½ c + 1 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1-2 tsp + 1 tsp dried or minced garlic
- ½ c Pepitas
- Blue Corn Chips
- 1/8 c chopped cilantro (optional)
- Prepare rice as described on package. Removed from package place in bowl.
- Mix 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, and if desired cilantro into cooked rice. Set in fridge or freeze to cool to room temp.
- In a large salad bowl mix spinach, bell pepper, celery, green onion, and black beans.
- In a small bowl mix ½ c olive oil, 1-2 tsp garlic (depending on your taste buds), black pepper (depending on your taste buds), juice a lemon thoroughly. This is your dressing.
- Remove rice from fridge and mix into the large salad bowl with the veggies.
- Top with fresh made dressing (step 4)
- Top salad with pepitas and a few handfuls of crushed blue corn chips.
- Serve with fresh or jarred salsa on the side for each guest to top their individual salad.