Starting my day with warm lemon water is one of my top beauty and health secrets!
And yes on vacations I actually bring lemons with me so I don’t miss a day! I must admit I feel completely off when I skip my morning ritual.
What’s all they hype with this fancy water? Is it something you should consider adding into your morning routine? You be the judge!
Here’s 10 REASONS why~
- Balances your body’s pH
- Rich in Vitamin C- immune booster
- Aids in digestion
- Flushes toxins- natural detox
- Great source of potassium
- Promotes beautiful skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Pectin Fiber in lemons= natural antibacterial
- Relieves indigestion and excess gas= de-bloat
- Breaks down mucus= helpful for allergy season or flu season!
What to do?
First thing in the AM! Before breakfast 😉
- Warm 1 c of water in the microwave (1 minute) or 1 c of water in a tea kettle.
- Squeeze juice of 1/2 large lemon or juice of 1 small lemon.
- Drink up!
Check out these great sources for more healthy lemon facts~
Need a quick breakfast?… An easy on the go snack?… A boost after working out?
Try this delicious Summertime Smoothie!
1 cup coconut water
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 tbsp bee pollen
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup yogurt
Dash of cinnamon
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp protein
Honey (add to your liking)
Add ingredients in blender and enjoy!!
Tired of the same ol’ things for breakfast? Try this new twist on an old favorite, no cook cold oatmeal! It takes less than 5 minutes to make and will be ready to help you jump start your day. There’s no stove involved, just the ingredients, a bowl and a refrigerator is all you will need!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use gluten free)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon roasted coconut chips
- 1 tablespoon honey roasted almonds
- A pinch of salt
- Add all ingredients in a Tupperware and mix well.
- Leave in the refrigerator overnight (It will look watery but once it sits overnight the chia seeds will soak up the yogurt and milk and become thicker).
Steaming, moist, soft and with a touch of sweet this Banana Bread is sure to wow anyone! In most situations as a fitness nutrition coach I would warn you to stay far far away from Banana Bread. Most Banana Bread is full of unhealthy sugars, fat, and white flour. But who wants to live without enjoying a warm slice of Banana Bread!? So I healthified it!
Try this delicious gluten free Banana Bread for breakfast, snack, or even dessert!
Click the link below and indulge this amaziness…
Gluten Free Banana Bread
Tired of the same old boring oatmeal? Kick it up a notch by switching the oats for quinoa! Quinoa is a bit higher in protein than oats and I personally prefer the texture and feeling I get after quinoa. Oats are great for you but after eating a bowl of hearty oats do you ever experience that heavy bloated feeling? It’s almost as if the oats expand right in my tummy, leaving me with a bit of a Buddha Belly feeling after eating them ;). The Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is my change up for my standard oatmeal. It is delicious, has a great texture, and leaves me with tons of energy!
The Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is gluten free, dairy free, and vegan. This tasty meal is the perfect complex meal combining the proper amounts of carbs, protein, and healthy fats to keep your body going throughout the morning.
- ½ c quinoa
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ c chopped dates
- ¼ c chopped banana
- ¼ c almond milk
- Cook a large batch of the quinoa to directions on the package. I always have quinoa in the fridge for my time crunched mornings. Quinoa served is also a great addition to salads.
- Mix quinoa, almond butter, cinnamon, dates, banana and milk in microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir thoroughly and rest for about 30 seconds.
- Dig in!
Oh banana bread. I absolutely love banana bread! But with my gluten and dairy issues I have avoided it the past few years. Well the time has come to create a gluten free dairy free banana bread!
The smell. The soft texture. The amazing taste. The touch of sweetness. Who can say no to a fabulous slice of heaven?
To me there is truly no better snack, quick breakfast, or even dessert than this tasty pastry. Unfortunately the standard banana bread is pretty unhealthy as it is usually made with refined sugar, refined flour, and unhealthy fats. So I set on a quest of creating the same deliciousness that my mouth always enjoyed but with ingredients my body would appreciate!
I made mine in a few different dishes so I could experiment with fun toppings! This actually becomes a great little gift for your favorite friends. Anthony devoured the banana bread topped with almond slices and sliced Belgium chocolate and I enjoyed the banana bread topped with coconut flakes and Belgium chocolate.
Ingredients (4 servings)-
- 1 egg
- 1 banana (ripe)
- 1/2 c almond meal
- 1/4 c gluten free oats
- 1/4 c cashew butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple cidar vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- dash pink salt
- topping suggestions- Belgium dark chocolate shavings, almond slices, walnut pieces, unsweetened coconut flakes, sunflower seeds
- Preheat toaster oven to 325.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Oil 4 ramekins (or use cupcake liners) with coconut oil.
- Evenly fill ramekins.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until you pack the toothpick test!
- Remove and cool before enjoying.
It’s January and most of us are trying to eat healthier as one of our New Years Wishes ;). This blog will help you eat healthier, live healthier and workout more efficiently! Food is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world! I love to experiment with different flavors and ingredients, I love when a dish turns out mouth watering, I love when people rave about stuff I have made, and I absolutely love tricking people into thinking a dish isn’t that great for you because it tastes soooo good to find out it really is healthy! Yes healthy food can taste amazing and be simple to make!
We start this year of with one of my favorite EAT-ANY-TIME meals! This open faced fried egg sandwich works for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! I have a special affection to this dish that goes back to college days after a night in my friend’s cabin after way too much Jose…those days I wasn’t obsessed with the healthy lifestyle so the sandwich used to be full of fake American cheese, butter, greasy bacon, mayo and no veggies! This sandwich is gluten free, dairy free, loaded with veggies, and I feel has way more tasty flavor!
Oh the Deliciousness
It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s cheap and it tastes amazing!
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice Ezekiel bread
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 handfuls spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons Grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp (or one block frozen) basil
- black pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
Veggies…make everything better
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp Grapseed Oil, shallots, garlic and basil to medium.
- Once shallots have softened add mushrooms.
- Add spinach, cover with a lid until spinach begins to wilt.
- Remove veggies and set to the side. Add 1 tbsp Grapeseed oil to pan. Crack 2 eggs directly into pan top with a bit of cracked black pepper.
- Cover and allow eggs to set a few minutes. Remove lid and crack the yolks.
- Cover and cook a few more minutes. Flip the eggs. Start the toast in toaster.
- Place toasted bread on plate. Add the veggies.
- Add the fried eggs.
- Top with hot sauce if desired. Dig in!
Oh the Deliciousness
Green juice is the new black coffee, that is. Green juice is “on trend”… I am so thankful to see this healthy habit on trend!
Are you the type that needs that cup of coffee in the morning before you can function? Maybe you don’t really need the caffeine but really need some zesty nutrition. Try replacing some of your morning ritual with this green blend! Not saying that coffee is the devil but I believe you will be surprised with the amount of energy you receive from this deliciousness! Added bonus…this makes a great FAST breakfast on the go!
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 chopped pear
- 1/2 banana
- 2 c spinach
- 2 c kale
- 1/2 c fresh OJ
- 1/2 c coconut water
- Place all ingredients in the water and blend until smooth.
**Now if you still need your coffee go ahead and enjoy it mid-morning. It is so important to give your body the proper fuel first thing in the AM…a cup of complex nutrition opposed to a cup of acid on an empty tummy. Or try to replace your coffee a few times a week with a blast of nutrition.