Aloe, my young discovery
This green catus-y looking plant can easily be overlooked by many, but inside those sharp thick leaves lies a very soothing magical natural medicine. I still remember my first encounter with this strange plant. I grew up with one in my parents front yard and always stayed away in fear that I would be stabbed by one of its prickly leaves. I was about 9 years old when I had a major fall while rollerblading. I came inside with blood dripping down my shins (I still have scars on my knees from that eventful day) crying for my mom. She cleaned up my knees and went outside to chop off one of the leaves. She brought me over to the sharp plant and showed me this sticky gel that was inside. She squeezed the gel onto the cuts and there was this instant sense of relief.
From then on I new this strange plant was something I would always want near by. Soon I learned it could also be used for those painful summer sunburns and often feel much better than many of the standard aloes we could find at Target.
My second run in with this crazy plant
In college, I ended up with shingles 4 times in 2 years. The “fix” for Shingles was usually steroids and pain killers. Well after getting this terrible illness 4 times in a row the pain pills had destroyed my stomach. I had stomach pains all the time and terrible acid reflux. Any time I had a glass of wine or a cup of coffee I knew trouble would come soon after.
After a few years of dealing with this uncomfortable lifestyle I finally started to do some research and came across the solution! Aloe! The plant that once healed my burns and scraps could also heal the insides of my tummy? What?!
After trying various brands and combinations I have found this one to be most effective. This Lily of the Dessert Stomach Formula not only provides tummy relief from the aloe itself but also from the other magic ingredients!
You can pick this up from most health food stores as well as my favorite website: http://www.vitacost.com/lily-of-the-desert-aloe-herbal-stomach-formula
Why should you start drinking aloe?
- Balances stomach acid- so many of the foods we enjoy are very high in acidic content
- Aid in digestion
- Helps to promote regular bowel cycle
- Helps to heal the tummy and digestive track
I have to be honest…
a few years ago when I thought of apple cider vinegar I thought, “marinade or salad dressing component”.
How I discovered the magic…
Like many great things I discovered the amazing-ness of apple cider vinegar out of sheer desperation. A few years ago, I had come down with this terrible sinus infection. I tried every natural remedy I knew but I just couldn’t get rid of the darn thing. I ended up scheduling an appt with the doc. At the appt he confirmed, sinus infection and sent me on my way with three prescriptions… one for a nasal spray, one for a day pill, and one for a night pill. I thought… really? 3? 3 prescriptions? 3 different chemical compounds in my body!? Plus I had just spent $30 on my co-pay and what would most likely be another $60-$90 at the pharmacy… all that could amount to $90-$120 day… a really nice outfit!
So instead of the pharmacy I went to google and began my research. I read several different natural remedies and reviews and found my healthy combination. Next I headed over to Whole Foods (not where I buy my regular vitamins because of their high prices but desperate times do call for prompt action), and picked up a few different supplies (apple cider vinegar being one) all for less than $30. Within a few days I was feeling like myself again! Plus no crappy terrible side effects, something I would have suffered with the prescriptions!
What is this stuff used for…
A boyfriend repellent…haha. Ya this is true. The smell of this stuff is quite strong and can be rough, Anthony almost runs out the door whenever I put it in hot water ;). This is the only real drawback of the magic apple cider vinegar (ACV), a side effect you can get used to.
- Sore Throat Cure– in a mug of warm water mix 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp ACV, and a couple dashes of cayenne pepper
- Digestive Balance– dilute 1 tbsp ACV in water or tea and enjoy pre-grub
- Clear Skin– pour a little diluted ACV on a wash cloth, rub on your clean face… this helps to neutralize your skin’s pH
- Toe fungus?– kill the fungus by applying some ACV to a cotton swab and directly on fungus
- Energy Boost– skip the 5 hour energy and add a shot of ACV to your afternoon water
- Remove the White Flakes– spray 50/50 mix of ACV and water into your hair then rinse… bye bye dandruff
- Itchy Red Skin– whether you are having a reaction to something or spent to much time in the sun toss a 1-2 cups in the tub and soak
- Aftershave– get rid of the aftershave burn with a mix of 50/50 ACV and water
- Sugar reducer– ACV has been shown to reduce glucose levels in diabetics; of course ask your doc
- Ear Pain– drop a capfull of ACV in the ear canal, lay on side for 20mins then flip, do other side
Where to find ACV..,
Apple Cider Vinegar is available and most health food stores and many grocery stores… I think even Target may carry it!
I usually order ACV here:
Bragg’s has become my favorite brand, esp when taken orally.
Want to learn more about ACV? Check out these awesome sources:
Starting my day with warm lemon water is one of my top beauty and health secrets!
And yes on vacations I actually bring lemons with me so I don’t miss a day! I must admit I feel completely off when I skip my morning ritual.
What’s all they hype with this fancy water? Is it something you should consider adding into your morning routine? You be the judge!
Here’s 10 REASONS why~
- Balances your body’s pH
- Rich in Vitamin C- immune booster
- Aids in digestion
- Flushes toxins- natural detox
- Great source of potassium
- Promotes beautiful skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Pectin Fiber in lemons= natural antibacterial
- Relieves indigestion and excess gas= de-bloat
- Breaks down mucus= helpful for allergy season or flu season!
What to do?
First thing in the AM! Before breakfast 😉
- Warm 1 c of water in the microwave (1 minute) or 1 c of water in a tea kettle.
- Squeeze juice of 1/2 large lemon or juice of 1 small lemon.
- Drink up!
Check out these great sources for more healthy lemon facts~